Thursday, July 10, 2008

Coming home

Tuesday morning I was trying to catch up on rest thinking that we were going home on Wednesday. Dr. Allen, the neonatologist came in to check on Addie. He asked me if I wanted to stay a week longer...and I of course said not at all...he proceeded to tell me he was going to get the paperwork started and then the nurse would be in to go over discharge instructions. I said, "you mean we're going home today?". Dr. Allen said, "well you can stay another day if you want to, but I think you're ready to go home today!" A rush of excitment, fear, happiness, and nervousness came over me. I immediately called Zac and told him to come to the hospital after work because we were going home! He too shared in the excitment. I called my mom and asked her what she was doing tonight as Addie wanted grandma to come spend the night! And so began a busy day of reviewing discharge instructions, asking questions, and gathering information. In the afternoon, Grandma and Grandpa Larson surprised us with a visit and it worked out great because they babysat while I was able to take a nice hot shower and then grandma helped me give Addie her last bath at the hospital while great grandpa snapped pictures. (I think this made their day, maybe even their week!) Zac to the hospital and we signed some more papers and got Addie packed up into her carseat. Zac was so excited he walked backwards out of the NICU room and then backwards in front of me into the elevator and out the front door so he could video us leaving the hospital. We first had to stop at the labor and delivery floor as one of our friends was being induced that evening and Addie wanted to say good luck! We got loaded into the car and we were officially home bound. It felt so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment